Friday, September 23, 2005

My Furry Kid

One thing that Dan and I will never be able to resolve is that I think of Gander as my kid and he thinks that even though I/we treat him like a kid, he is not our child but our dog. The thing is, we provide a home for him, feed him, keep him safe and warm, take care of him when he is sick, teach him to be a civilized member of the society and most of all, give him unconditional love… if we are not his parents, who are we? But that is an argument that will go on for as long as we have Gander and any other dogs we may have in the future.

Today was my day-off, so I made arrangements to visit a kennel-free boarding facility where we will leave Gander next weekend when we are out of town. The place is called Camp Happy Paws and it is absolutely amazing! They have acres of land for the dogs to run around all day; at night, they all sleep in the ‘Bunk House’ where it looks more like a log cabin with a bunch of dog beds, couches and crates. Gander came with me to check out the place and he went off to explore as soon as he got a chance. Becky and Scott, the owners, seemed very nice and I have no doubt that Gander will have a blast there and will not even notice that we are gone!! Sometimes I wonder if I should consider starting a place like that and run a small clinic out of there…

After the visit to the Camp, we went back to the hospital just in time for me to observe part of the surgery of one of my patients who needed his spleen removed due to a huge tumor. I was going to do the surgery yesterday, but he was very stable and the owners opted to have ultrasound done before doing surgery. The procedure went very smoothly and while I was observing surgery, Gander had a fun time wrestling with Ivy, one of the other doctor’s dog, in the ‘closet’ (a small room which we use mostly for housing all the staff’s dogs but it is also used as an oversized ‘kennel’ when we have dogs too big for standard kennels or those that refuse to go into one). Now I know that he will be ok to stay in a confined area with a few other dogs.

G-boy and I then headed of to check out the new off-leash part in a new neighborhood 5 minutes from the house. It is called the Bark Park and it is a 2-acre fenced in meadow where the dogs can just run around and have fun. After being so used to Marymoor Off-Leash Area, B.P. seemed more like a large lawn, but it is still a nice area for the pampered canines to play in. Since today was rowing day and Gander played so much for half of the day, by the time we got home from the park, we both had to take a long nap!

This evening, I finally finished the book I have been reading for over a week. It’s a Japanese thriller/mystery called ‘Out’ by Natsuo Kirino (I am not sure who the translator was). It was a pretty gruesome story with very gory details. I am a bit disappointed with the ending and parts of it were quite predictable. It was one of the Barnes and Nobles recommendations from the list of new writers. It has won awards, but it was just an OK book. Not sure if I would read another one by the same writer… then again, maybe it was the translator.

Now I have the task of picking what book to read next… probably a P.D. James book… good old fashion British detective novel…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home