Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Canada Voted

For the first time in my life, I voted. Yes, I am turning 34 this year and it was the first time I voted. The voting age in Hong Kong was 21 and I left when I was 19. Since then, my residential status in the various countries I lived in did not allow me to vote. Within 2 months of becoming Canadian, I moved to the U.S. For the federal election in 2004, Dan and I were not aware that we could still register to vote in Canada even though we do not reside there anymore.

With the rising concern of the Tories forming a majority government, we did a bit more research and found out that we are indeed allowed to vote as long as we have been away for less than 5 years with the intention of returning one day. And every time we return on Vancouver for a weekend, we can start counting the next 5 years again.

Alas, there is still going to be a change in government. But at least it is a minority government…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home