Monday, November 28, 2005

American Thanksgiving Weekend

We had a nice 4-day getaway during Thanksgiving. We went up to Vancouver after work on Wednesday and stayed with Dan’s parents for the night. We then headed up to Whistler for a couple of days. There was hardly any new snow on the mountain and there was also temperature inversion, so we ended up not snowboarding at all and just spent Thursday and Friday hanging out at the Village, shopping and taking Gander for walks.

We had a great dinner at Bear Foot Bistro on Thursday night; they have the most amazing wine list there and we got to have a peek at the cellar downstairs. Considering the wine selection, the food prices were fairly reasonable – we were in tourist town after all! On Friday, we slept in and then went for a walk in the rain; we took Gander to Canine Cove at Lost Lake and even though the water for absolutely freezing cold, he had no qualms about swimming out to fetch his toy. Dan spent some time in the hot tub and sauna while I just lounged in the room and read. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant, the Crabshack, which had pretty good food as well. We have been to many restaurants in Whistler, ranging from the noodle shop to the top of the line fine dining and we are seldom disappointed.

We returned to Vancouver on Saturday and swung by the Kirste-Yees to visit Erland, Kiki and Saskia. We have not seen them since the summer and won’t be seeing them until the New Year, so we had a lot of catching up to do. We also delivered their Christmas gifts early since we won’t be spending Christmas with them…. It’s be many years since we did Christmas Eve or Boxing Day at their place. I quite miss that; on the other hand, those were before babies days. Now that the Petkaus and the Andersons all have kids, I am sure the general atmosphere will be very different.

We spent the rest of the weekend just lounging around until it was time for us to head out to Kits so that Dan could teach. Mum met us in Kits and we went for a nice walk and had a great chat. If all works out well, Mum might come down on Boxing Day with Grandma to attend Aunt Katherine’s party – that would be great!

Work today was a bit of a joke – I had 3 surgeries and was done before 1 p.m. Normally, if no emergency comes in, the surgeon of the day could leave at 4 p.m. But lucky for me, one of my surgery patients from last week needed a bandage removal and recheck today and they could not come in until after 4 p.m.! So I just sat around, read my book and chatted with the others for 3 hours!! Luckily, the clients came on time and the pet is doing great!

I did a bit of baking today and made 2 batches of biscotti: Raspberry, pistachio and white chocolate biscotti and Cranberry and almond biscotti dipped in dark chocolate. They are in the fridge chilling right now and I will bring some to work tomorrow. They turned out pretty well and I think I will be making some more as a gift to the Riverdog staff. I am sure I will make a few batches for out party next month as well. But my plan for my day off this week is to make Panettone from scratch. It will take a few hours, but baking seems less scary to me these days and there is always the bread machine to do most of the work.

Dan and I ‘inherited’ the Christmas village decorations from his parents, so I’d better go and see if I can help set it up. Dan already put the LED Christmas lights up outside – only available from Canadian Tires!! I think the tree will go up this weekend – our trusted, lit, spinnable, Taiwanese pine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home